Monday 6 February 2012

In Praise of Teddy Bears and Vintage Hats.

I was reading a blog a little while ago, sorry I can't remember who's, about vintage hats and whether to store or display them. The author of said blog was in favour of displaying them and so am I.
My old 80's cowboy hats, fedoras and the obligatory holiday sombrero are artfully stacked on top of the wardrobe, the rest are displayed in the front bedroom (which conveniently also houses my makeup and other hair accessories!)

Now I'm sure I'm not unique in my method of display but I will say that is it very me!

                      Bagpuss gives a whole new meaning to  Hollywood Glamour Puss!

                                                      Leonora fascinates in lace
                                              Snoopy does 1950's sophistication
                     (or maybe it's the fact that he's a boy that is making him hide his face?)


As you can see the front bedroom is also home to some of my fuzzy friends, the larger of whom are very obliging when it comes to hats it must be said.

I'm well aware that soft toys are not to everyone's taste and that some would shrink in horror and even disgust at the idea of a woman my age having them at all, but you know what? I couldn't give a shit.
I know there are those who take it to extremes and perhaps if I walked round with one in my arms all day or talked to them as if they were real, people might have a right to be horrified.
However having grown up as a very shy and insecure child my beloved Tedted (bear) and Benjamin (bunny) gave me the courage to be brave go to places and do things if they were with me. They have seen me through a lot of ups and downs over the years, and whilst I don't need them in the way I did when I was 5 years old they mean certain things to me, and it is for that reason they now sit in splendour on their very own chair in our bedroom. Along with Himself's two childhood companions they are referred to as the old gents.

                      My two are also imortalized in this picture that hangs in my kitchen.
                                                                Friendship.

I'm a great believer in having things in my house that make me smile and make me happy, and as the soft toys I do have count on both scores, long live the Teddy bear says I.



5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! I still have all my old favourites in the loft (sadly no room in my room at home) and I couldn't throw them away. I'm still tempted into buying certain soft toys if I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long live the teddy bear indeed ;-)) I think its lovely to have something to cuddle or that makes you smile or even better something you had as a little girl. Memories are important. Your hats are lovely im with you on displaying them and i reckon bagpuss has set a new trend ;-)) dee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im all for displaying hats- they got to be seen and i love your attitude about the bears - very refreshing. I also adore that last picture - made me chuckle :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here here for glamour puss :o)) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Bagpuss looks fabulous! I can't move without falling over soft toys, or 'the guys' as they're known in my house. Mine are still at my parents, big ted has lost his growl but is ready to step in as monster-scarer when we stay at my folks'.

    ReplyDelete