Sunday 4 November 2012

I Saw a Mouse and Other Anniversary Excitements.

Thank you for all your kind comments I can report I did survive the evening chaperoning those teenage girls!

I have to say in some ways it was a bit weird because one thing I can safely say I have NEVER been in my whole life is hip, happening or cool, not ever, not even slightly. Yet there I was with 3 teenagers hanging off my every word telling me ' OMG  you are soooo cool!!' when we were talking about various bands and some that I had seen.  It was a strange but not unpleasant feeling.

Thankfully the first support band were excellent because the second one was as god awful as I remembered. It wasn't the best Bowling for Soup show as they had various technical difficulties and I guess I was a little on edge keeping an eye out all evening. However Nephew Number One was on cracking form and had me in stitches and at least I did manage to buy him a beer.

Sunday we had a lie-in and then Himself went off for a lads night out with his old band mates. As it was in Folkstone of all places he stayed overnight so we arranged to meet in London the next day for our anniversary day out.
Unbeknown to him I had got us tickets for 'The Mousetrap' which I have never seen despite being a huge Agatha Christie fan!
We had a wonderful day and I got to people watch for a couple of hours (one of my favourite pastimes) in a ram packed Wetherspoons.
This advert cracked me up
and I loved the Halloween bats.

Then it was theatre time. Sadly I couldn't afford the best of seats at the theatre so we were wedged in in the most unladylike fashion. Clearly back in the day theatre goers did not have very long legs.

                                                       Dignity always dignity.

Actually I felt like Verity Treacle! (another television reference that shows my age).

The theatre is very beautiful though.


The play was terribly hammy but we both loved it. Himself told me afterwards he had cheated and looked up who done it on the internets. I however had no clue and shall not tell a soul in the true spirit of the play.

                                                A lovely night despite the rain.

We both took the next day off work on account of getting home at 1am. That meant I got to have a lovely long trawl around the charity shops. I bought a some great bits and pieces which I will share another time as they are waiting to be ironed and a couple of things for my Etsy shop.

I also got a little something for one of you lovely ladies....... I shall not give away who!

You know how it is when you just spot something and it screams someone's name at you. It shall be winging it's way to said lovely lady in the next week and I hope to god I haven't got it badly wrong!!!!!

Wednesday was our actual anniversary, I know we do drag it out don't we!
Anyway we went out for a meal (diet what diet?) and to the cinema.

I shall now digress to tell you a little tale of karma.

We arrived at the restaurant with time before our table booking and it was absolutely heaving. There were quite a few people waiting in front of us so we had to stand near the door, two women came in behind us and one of them had a right go at me because where I was standing meant she couldn't close the door and it was cold! I obligingly wedged myself between the coat stand and a plant so she could close the door. The other lady she was with knew the one in front of us so they started chatting about how busy it was the rude lady was being loud and arsey about how they shouldn't have to wait like this because 'we do have a table booked you know!' The lady in front of us said that yes they had a table booked too and I had to stop myself from saying 'actually so do we!' from behind my plant.
Anyway when the girl came to check names the rude lady barged past me and gave her name first and demanded to be seated, her friend looked very embarrassed and said 'I think these people where here first' but she ignored her and us.
The waitress was very polite and said there will be about a 10 minute wait and would she like to take a seat by the bar while she waited so she huffed off to a corner and Himself was able to confirm our table.
When the waitress had seated all the people in front of us she came back and said 'right who is next?' the rude lady leapt forward but I stepped neatly in front of her and said firmly 'We are' she went mental again huffing and 'well really-ing' but the waitress knew the score just lead us to our table.
They were seated shortly after us but you know what was beautiful? They got served their drinks and then forgotten. I know from friends who have waited tables that it can happen when you are manic busy and you have smaller tables placed out of clear sight.
We had actually finished eating by the time the rude lady managed to collar a waiter. All the time we were eating she kept glowering and glaring at us so I'm afraid we did make a bit of a show of thoroughly enjoying our meal!

Anyway stuffed full of lovely Italian food we made our way through the torrential rain to the cinema. We were going to go and see 'Frankenweenie' but as there had been such a demand for 'Skyfall' tickets they cancelled it to put on two showings of James Bond. Oh well, I happen to love James Bond so I didn't mind at all.

I don't agree with those who say it is the best Bond film ever but I thoroughly enjoyed it and did find myself grinning like a loon at a couple of the action sequences. It did mean going to bed at 1am again as by the time they had shown all the adverts and trailers and then the film it was 12.30 by the time we got back in the house!

Oh and I did finally get to see Frankenweenie tonight and I will confess I did shed a tear or two in the dark.  

4 comments:

  1. You have had more of a social life in a few days than I have in a whole year! I would love to have seen The Mousetrap so much, but could never afford a ticket on my barmaid wages while in London. Oh and some douche of a journo actually wrote an article about how long it had been running and how so-and-so did it. Can you believe that? What a prick! Oh and I love Bondy too so Skyfall is going to have to pull some pretty amazing tricks out of the bag for me after that last hideous shall-not-be-named disaster. Well done with the nasty lady - hope her friend dumped her at the bus stop and cabbed it home alone. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful weekend!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dying to see Skyfall, hopefully we'll go this week.
    How fab to see The Mousetrap, I thought you'd got a crazy fascinator on in that picture but it's just the poster behind you. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes! me too! Dog death is too much. Can't wait to see Skyfall. Glad you had fun at The Mousetrap - I'd love to see it and passed y the theatre the day before you went in. xxx

    ReplyDelete